Mr. Miller’s “Lakehead” Stoemp
Recipe courtesy of Mr. Todd Miller, Culinary Arts teacher with Lakehead Public Schools.
In our November 2021 video, Mr. Todd Miller, Culinary Arts teacher with Lakehead Public Schools, shows us a local take on a Belgian favourite, variations of which can be found in cultures around the world. Bacon, onions, cabbage and carrots are gently folded into rich, creamy riced potatoes for a side dish that can be a meal in itself.
Lakehead Stoemp can be made in under an hour. We served it as a side dish with juicy baked sausages, but it also goes great with roasted meats for dinner, and the leftovers can be enjoyed on their own merits for breakfast or lunch the next day!
1 kg potatoes
150 g thick bacon (or lardons)
300 g carrots
300 g cabbage (green or savoy)
1-2 tbsp butter
50 mL (about 1/4 cup) cream
Peel and cut your potatoes into 1/2″ rounds.
- Scrub your carrots and cut them into 1/4″ rounds.
- Boil your carrots and potatoes separately until tender. If carrots finish before your other ingredients, drain them and set them aside to stay warm.
- Meantime, dice onions and cabbage and cut bacon into big chunks.
- Sautee bacon until it begins to render; add onions and stir until they begin to soften.
- Add your diced cabbage and cook until everything is tender.
- Drain and rice your potatoes; fold in 2 tablespoons of butter, cream, a pinch of nutmeg and salt & pepper to taste.
- Fold in your cooked bacon, onions and cabbage.
- Very gently fold in your cooked carrots, taking care not to crush them.
Dress up your stoemp for dinner guests! Coat the inside of a teacup or small bowl with oil and pack your cup with Stoemp. Gently upend a cup of Stoemp onto each serving plate and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Watch Mr. Miller make this delicious side with juicy baked sausages in our November 2021 video!
More Seasonal Recipes
More Great Recipes This month on tbayInSeason, chef Chris Groenheide gets us in the grilling mood with beautifully dressed spring lamb burgers, a delicious sauce you can use on the burgers and about 100 other things, and...
Make the delicious grilled salad brought to us by farmer/chef Chris Groenheide from Tarrymore Gardens in our May 2022 show!
Get grilling with these flavourful Lamb Burgers demonstrated by farmer/chef Chris Groenheide from Tarrymore Gardens in our May 2022 show