Tanner’s Bison Tourtière
- 1 lb bison, ground
- 1 lb pork, ground
- 2 potatoes, yellow or white
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup stock – beef, bison or chicken
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp savory
- 1 tsp cloves, ground
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp salt & pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Prepare pie shell dough as per recipe.
- Add a tablespoon of cooking oil to large skillet on medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, stir until fragrant.
- Next, add the ground bison and ground pork to pan, break up meat and cook. Remove excess fat, return to pan, add seasonings and stock. Simmer on medium-low until liquid has evaporated.
- Grate the potatoes into the mixture, stir until mixed, remove from heat. Let cool for at least 1 hour.
- Roll out dough, place in pie plate, spoon mixture evenly inside and press down to compact.
- Beat eggs for egg wash. Using a pastry brush, brush the outer rim of the pie crust. Place rolled out pie dough on top, cut excess dough off. Pinch around the edges with fingers. Make cuts in top of pie in any form to allow for ventilation.
- If you’re baking your tourtiere right away, preheat oven to 375F. Make an egg wash and brush your top crust; bake at 375°F for 45 minutes. until golden brown.
- OR freeze your tourtiere until you’re ready. Preheat your oven to 425F. Make an egg wash and brush your top crust. Bake your frozen pie for 20 minutes at 425F, reduce the heat to 375F and bake another 45-60 minutes.
Watch Tanner make this savoury meat pie in our December 2021 video!
More Seasonal Recipes
A great way to use up your stored garlic in the spring! Ingredients: up to 12 heads of garlic olive oil 2 muffin trays Method: Trim the tops and necks off your garlic bulbs. Place each bulb in a muffin cup and drizzle a small amount of olive oil in the centre of each...
Lock the local flavour right in with Markus' method of cooking carrots. In our March 2022 show, chef Markus Hofmann from Rose Valley Lodge & Restaurant prepares these carrots as a side dish to Pork Tenderloin Calvados along with Scalloped Potatoes and Stewed...
In our March 2022 show, chef Markus Hofmann from Rose Valley Lodge & Restaurant prepares these potatoes as a side dish to Pork Tenderloin Calvados along with Carrots à la Markus and Stewed Cucumbers.Ingredients: 6 med. red potatoes (peeled and sliced) 1 tsp salt...