Chef Nikos’ Grilled Veal Rib Steaks with Green Garlic Butter
- half-rack of veal, cut into 4 tomahawk-style steaks
- canola oil
- coarse salt
- cracked black pepper
- 1 stalk green garlic
- 1 T chopped parsley
- 1/2 C salted butter, divided
- Light your bbq well in advance – you want it to be smoking hot when you go out with your steaks.
- Prepare your garlic butter: mince a stalk of green garlic – the white bulb and some of the green as well.
- Soft-cook your garlic in about a tablespoon of your butter, just to let the flavour infuse the melted butter. Set aside to cool.
- Cream the remaining butter together with the cooled garlic and butter; set aside to chill.
- Season steaks with a drizzle of Brule Creek Farms canola oil.
- Sprinkle with coarse salt and cracked black pepper.
- Place steaks on a smoking-hot grill at a 45 degree angle to the grill bars. Turn 45 degrees or so after 2 – 3 minutes to achieve nice diamond-shaped grill marks.
- Flip after another 2 – 3 minutes and repeat your 45 degree turn 2-3 minutes after that.
- Consult a guide like Canada Beef’s Grilling Guide for tips on cooking your steak just right.
Watch our July 2021 video with Chef Nikos for a demonstration!