Charred Tomatillo Salsa (Salsa Verde)
Recipe courtesy of Triple-R
1 small white onion
4 – 5 large garlic cloves (about a bulb’s worth)
2 pounds husked tomatillos
2 tablespoons Brule Creek canola oil
1 bunch cilantro, leaves stems
1/2 cup fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper
- Remove the leaf wrappers from the tomatillos, wash & dry them. Peel and trim your garlic cloves, and quarter your onion, leaving the layers connected at the bottom.
- Turn your broiler to HIGH.
- Toss tomatillos, jalapenos, onions & garlic in a little Brule Creek Farms canola oil to coat lightly.
- Broil your vegetables on a parchment-lined tray for just a few minutes. Check often, as they can turn the corner fast. Feel free to tong out your garlic cloves if they get ahead of the other veg.
- Turn your veggies once when some charring appears on the top, and remove from the oven when the second side starts to brown.
- Tip the entire tray, juices and all, into a food processor.
- Add cilantro and lime juice and blend till smooth.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve with tortilla chips!
* keeps about a week in the fridge, but usually disappears long before that.