Balsamic Herb Lamb Pops
A “gateway recipe” for anyone new to cooking or eating lamb. This is a great way to try cooking lamb for the first time as it’s done on the bbq, so if you don’t enjoy the fragrance you’ve kept it outside your home.
It’s also a great way to introduce someone to lamb for the first time. The marinade both veils and flatters the “lamby” flavour, while the quick grilling of the tender medallions leaves the meat juicy, and the rib “sticks” make them fun to eat, and a great appetizer as well. Serves 2 – 3 people.
- 1 rack (or 2 half-racks) of lamb
- 1/2 C olive oil
- 1/4 C balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 T fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 T honey
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- salt & pepper to taste
- Slicing along each rib, cut your rack into individual chops. Ribs aren’t always the same distance apart, so your chops will likely vary in thickness. If you’re concerned, you can try leaving two ribs together on the thinner ones. Place your ribs into a resealable bag.
- Mix together your marinade ingredients and add them to your bag, massaging gently to thoroughly coat each piece of lamb.
- Marinate for a minimum of 1 hr and up to 12 hours. If marinating for more than 1 hr, refrigerate your meat immediately and let it return to room temperature for 1 hour before cooking.
- Preheat your bbq to high and turn down to medium-high heat before applying your lamb chops. Cook them for 3 – 4 minutes a side for medium; 2- 3 minutes a side for medium rare.
- Serve on a platter as an appetizer, or 4 – 5 per dinner plate.
More Seasonal Recipes
A great way to use up your stored garlic in the spring! Ingredients: up to 12 heads of garlic olive oil 2 muffin trays Method: Trim the tops and necks off your garlic bulbs. Place each bulb in a muffin cup and drizzle a small amount of olive oil in the centre of each...
More Great Recipes In June on tbayInSeason, Derek Lankinen from Beefcake's Burger Factory goes a little off-book to demonstrate how to marinate and grill a flank steak, which is a very lean and flavourful cut. Cooked to...
More Great Recipes This month on tbayInSeason, chef Chris Groenheide gets us in the grilling mood with beautifully dressed spring lamb burgers, a delicious sauce you can use on the burgers and about 100 other things, and...