Egg Roll In a Bowl
Eating local in February is delicious AND nutritious! In our February 2022 show, tbayInSeason’s Social Butterfly Kerry Berlinquette shows us how to make a delicious low-carb family favourite you can have on the table in under an hour.
- 1/4 green cabbage
- 1/4 red cabbage
- 3 carrots
- 1 medium onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1″ fresh ginger
- 1 lb ground pork
- salt & pepper
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp (SCANT) Heartbeat Pineapple Habanero Hot Sauce
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- green onions & toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- Prepare the stir fry sauce first. In a small bowl stir together the soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, Heartbeat Hot Sauce, and brown sugar. Set the sauce aside.
- Prep the vegetables so they are ready to go when you need them. Cut one small cabbage in half, remove the core, and cut it into thin strips. Scrub (and peel, if you must – we don’t!) two carrots, cut them in half and then into thin planks or match-sticks. (You can also grate them with a cheese grater if you prefer. Cut your medium onion into thin strips. Mince two cloves of garlic. Peel a knob of ginger using either a vegetable peeler or by scraping with the side of a spoon, then grate it using a small-holed cheese grater.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot add the ground pork and cook it just until the pink is gone. Add the garlic, ginger, and a pinch of salt and pepper and cook just a couple of minutes – just until you can smell the garlic.
- Add the cabbage and carrots to the skillet and continue to stir and cook until the cabbage is slightly wilted (or fully wilted, if you prefer). Stir in the prepared sauce and the green onions. Top with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and a drizzle of Heartbeat Pineapple, then serve.
* 1 Tbsp Heartbeat Hot Sauce makes a medium-spicy stir fry. If you don’t like spicy, start with 1 tsp. The hot sauce adds flavor as well as heat, so we don’t suggest skipping it all together.
Watch Kerry make this in our February 2022 video!
More Seasonal Recipes
A great way to use up your stored garlic in the spring! Ingredients: up to 12 heads of garlic olive oil 2 muffin trays Method: Trim the tops and necks off your garlic bulbs. Place each bulb in a muffin cup and drizzle a small amount of olive oil in the centre of each...
More Great Recipes This month on tbayInSeason, chef Chris Groenheide gets us in the grilling mood with beautifully dressed spring lamb burgers, a delicious sauce you can use on the burgers and about 100 other things, and...
What’s In Season Episode 10: Seared Trout, Hollandaise, Warm Potato Salad, Spring Greens with Feta, White Balsamic & Honey Vinaigrette
More Great Recipes This month, chef Rhonda Bill takes us on a taste adventure that combines winter and spring with three recipes we saw her whip up with under an hour's work. Seared Lake Trout with Hollandaise Sauce:...